While driving a motorcycle can be extremely exciting and fun, it can also be dangerous. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), there were approximately 88,000 injuries to motorcyclists in 2013, and 4,668 deaths from motorcycle accidents. These numbers are high, but there are things you can do to prevent becoming part of these statistics. Here are two things you might want to consider doing to protect yourself while riding.
Take a Safety Course
To drive a motorcycle, you must have a license for it, but you can get a license without taking courses in many cases. Even if a safety course is not required in your state, you should still consider taking one. This course will teach you how to:
- Ride responsively
- Be a defensive driver
- Properly signal to other drivers
- Wear the right gear
- Start and stop your bike
- Lay your bike down if necessary
Not only does it teach the basics of riding a motorcycle, it also teaches much more. After completing the course, you will know how to stay safe while you are on the road riding your bike. This may not guarantee that you will not get into an accident, but it could help you avoid major injuries if you do end up colliding with another vehicle.
Purchase a Good Helmet
Approximately half of the states in the U.S. require riders to wear helmets at all times, but you should wear one even if this is not a legal requirement in your state. You can judge a helmet by:
- Safety ratings – All helmets come with safety ratings, and choosing one with good ratings is a great way to avoid injuries if you do get into an accident.
- Comfort – Helmets come in various sizes, and you should choose one that fits, but that is also snug.
- Style – The final factor to consider is the style of the helmet. Some helmets cover your entire face, while others may only cover your head. You may want to try some different ones on to see which is more comfortable for you.
As with any purchase you make, you may also want to compare your options based on price. Staying safe is important when riding a motorcycle because so many accidents happen each year. Even if you practice safe riding habits, you could still end up in an accident. If this happens, you can contact a motorcycle accident attorney for help.Share